1 2 3, I See Thee

     I am sure that in some moments in our life, we would have some friends who, when they complain to you about their problems, you just can't seem to make the head or tail of it. I mean, you understand the problem, yes. But you don't understand why do they do, what they do. Ye follow me? I have one friend like that. On some departments in life, we totally see things eye to eye. I mean, in dealing with things in life, I'd like to think that we're pretty rational (except when the decisions are about scrumptious food or cute guys- exceptions). But in some departments, I will just go 'wha-' at this friend's decision. Honest to God, I just can't seem to understand why would she decided as such. Sometimes I feel a bit tired because, it doesn't seem that she's even listening to me. But I know that there are no malicious intention in that for when one is in an enigma, they might need more time to compute things. 

     When pain is a constant state, their first defensive mechanism would be to take themselves out of the pain. Idk maybe my advice doesn't seem to fit anywhere near that from her point of view. And because of that, we got a bit distant. As in, after a while, understanding that she doesn't really take my advice into consideration, I transitioned the role from the friend who give advice mercilessly, into a listener. As much as I don't agree with what she did, I still wanna be there for her. I only wish for her happiness. If she thinks what she has decided would make her happy, I will try to support her no matter how I disagree. Our dynamic change a little after that but I just rolled along with it.

     Until very recently, I have experienced the exact same feeling. The impetus of the dilemma, was not the same. But the afterthought was the one that got me like, "Hey brain remember that one time when I was clueless about a friend's decision? Ohhhh. Now I kinda get it. Maybe this is why she did that." And that was it. 

     One important lesson that I have learnt in life that, people change, and that is something that you can't help. Sometimes, we started off as really good friends. We listen to the same music, go gaga over the same cute Korean actor (Lee Dong Wook oppa, saranghaeyo notice me oppa) (this is a perfectly normal example). We dwell in the same melancholic poems. Like, we are so synced that we could have been the next M2M, or Saray Kay & Phil Kaye. We hate the same person, we prefer same flavour of ice cream. You know, all those things. But after a while, we grow. And we might not grow the same. When you can no longer find the same common ground you used to walk with one another with, you might feel a bit off-kilter. And sometimes, you go separate ways which is such a bummer. 

     This is when you need to make an active effort to still be friends. My good friends and I, have been through that. We have different opinions on some issues. But what tops all these differences is only one thing, that you value that friend in your life, and you want them to stay. I guess because of that one primary reason, my friends and I are still friends, though we have grown quite differently. There are less similarities, but the common ground is still there. We learn to respect our differences in certain issues and didn't think much about it because we value our friendship more than that. I'm not saying that it's easy. Nope. We have gone through bumps. We fight. A lot. There were times where we would prefer to spend less time together, but more individually. But at the end of the day, when life gets rough, we would still prefer each other's company. At the end of the day, you realize that, they are still the same great friends and it would be foolish to let them go. You could say that deep in our hearts, we actually have grown way too clingy with one another. For me, good friends are really hard to come by. When you found one, keep them. Keep them close to you and don't let silly shenanigans that you would probably won't even remember ten years ahead, tore you apart. 

     I guess what am I trying to say here is that, when we feel that our close friends are changing, and we don't feel that we are that close anymore, it's a normal feeling. But just because you have grown differently, doesn't mean that that's the end of it. It's perfectly okay as well to decide not to get involved emotionally in some friend's life decisions because it might be contrary to your principles, or you just don't get it, but, it doesn't mean that you can no longer be a good friend to them. As we graduated, and we live far from one another, we no longer have the luxury to spend as much time together. Maybe we don't text as much, or call as much. These are perfectly normal. We have our own lives to handle (yeah adulthood is no joke). But I would really like to still be there for my friends, when they need me, if God wills it, I will always be there for them no matter how different have the circumstances turned into. Because there are the very friends, who have nourished me with love, support and a good deal of good food hunting. 

I am not even sure if this makes sense. But yeah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reblog - MUET Speaking Sample Questions

Reblog - MUET Speaking

Teach to Learn