Little Things

     Back in my degree years, I remember in one of the Literature lessons with Madam Rosalind, she talked about the art of appreciating beauty in little things. You know how sometimes, you probably already know something, but it only becomes more apparent when someone actually put these thoughts into words and tell you about it? Yeah this is one of those things. I remember at that time, I was struggling with something that has put me through duress. As I walked back home alone from the class, walking by the side of INTEC's gate to the neighbourhood, the soles of my shoes pleasantly crackled as they step on dry leaves. I remember the yellow leaves, parched and beautiful in their own way, peacefully resting by the side of the gate. With every step I took, my heart felt a little lighter as the crackle of the dry leaves accompanied me on my way home.

     I remember this one time when I was travelling alone on the train to from Shah Alam to KL Sentral as I promised a friend to hang out that day. I was reading Lightwood intently (yes, I name my kindle *gelak mata tutup emoji*), anyway there was this little girl beside me, and her mum was sitting on another side. She was chattering away, mumbling, happy in her own world and her eyes wandered eagerly as little kids usually do. Suddenly, she sat down quietly, and a few seconds after that, she farted. Loudly. Hahahahahah omg I am stifling my laughter as I am typing this. Yes, she farted and looked at me innocently, probably curious to see how would a stranger react. Then she let out a boisterous laugh while her mother was apologizing to me. We ended up laughing together after that. When I met my friend later, I recounted the incident and we laughed together some more for a few good minutes as we made our way to makan place. Little things.

     I wish I remember more details like these. But you know, sometimes, you don't remember the stories behind the laughter, but you remember how good it feels to laugh as you feel pure mirth inhabiting your every cell. For some reasons, my trip to Singapore with Aiwa and Pady last year, was very amusing to me. I can't exactly remember why, but I remember feeling so happy, giddy and carefree during the trip. Every time I look at the photos of that trip, I can still feel it. Little things.

     When Abah first got me a car, so that it would be easier for me to attend training sessions at main campus, I only used the car, for that, and to go to classes. I was a timid person back then, and I don't like taking risks. I was happy in my comfort zone. But there was this one time, when my friend and I reaaly wanted to watch a movie, The Maze Runner, or was it The Hunger Games? I think. So I was like ok jom. So here was me, who has never driven farther from the vicinity of my house and campus, buta jalan, selalu sesat, and a clumsy driver (at that time lah now ok already), always terrified of Shah Alam crazy drivers, who wanted to go to a place I have never gone before, that's like, me, going on a suicide mission. We went anyway, and we got lost, and the road was crazy dark, and we were legit scared as the google maps was failing us, and then we started laughing as we kept driving in circles. Laughing at ourselves. Laughing at how ridiculous it is to get lost in a short distance journey to the cinema. We made it safe and sound eventually, but yeah. Hahaha. Little things.

     It's these little things, that have made life a lil more bearable, every day.

     In the next few years after that lesson in Madam Rosalind's class, I have found myself to be more appreciative of these little things, and I make conscious effort to acknowledge them, especially when I was having a bad day.

Little things. How they brighten up your dull day.

Alhamdulillah, 'ala kulli hal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reblog - MUET Speaking Sample Questions

Reblog - MUET Speaking

Teach to Learn